Ex15, No such file or directory: 'ex15_samp

Blockquote

FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'ex15_sample.txt ’

I have tried more than a dozen times, it failed constantly! I don’t know where did i made a mistake.

Hello @mark.k.

I think we also need your python file for this.
Some of it works appearantly.

from sys import argv

script, filename = argv

txt = open(filename)

print(f"Here’s your file {filename}:")
print(txt.read())

print(“Type the filename again:”)
file_again = input("> ")

txt_again = open(file_again)

print(txt_again.read())

it’s driving me crazy as well. did you figure out the solution

Guys, there’s the seminar today in 1 hour, so you can ask Zed directly about problems with exercises from LPTHW book.

https://forum.learncodethehardway.com/t/python-basics-workshop-review-ex11-20-wed-3pm-est/2182

In your screenshot, on the error line, it looks as if there is a space between the ex15_sample.txt and the final quote mark. I was only able to reproduce this error if I pressed the space bar before I hit the return key.

THIS is when I press the space bar after typing in ex15_sample.txt

Here's your file ex15_sample.txt:
Again testing.
For Python.
For learning.

Type the filename again: 
> ex15_sample.txt 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "ex15.py", line 13, in <module>
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'ex15_sample.txt '

THIS time I’ll enter an incorrect filename but without the space:

Here's your file ex15_sample.txt:
Again testing.
For Python.
For learning.

Type the filename again: 
> ex14_sample.txt
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "ex15.py", line 13, in <module>
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'ex14_sample.txt'

Can you see the difference on the error lines? between 'ex15_sample.txt ’ and ‘ex14_sample.txt’
Python sees that space as part of the filename. If I don’t press the space bar after typing ex15_sample.txt, it runs OK.

1 Like

Yes, that extra space character at the end is what’s causing the problem, although…hmmm yeah I don’t know if I like that as a possible error. One way to fix it is this:

file_again = input("> ").strip()

Which will remove any extra space characters. The other way is to…just stop hitting the space bar after the file name. :wink:

To get rid of this error you can try using os.listdir() function to check that at least python sees the file exists or not.

I’m on Windows OS. When I typed the argument into the terminal (e.g. python ex15.py ex15_sample.txt) and hit return, I would get the same error message as you. I Did some research, and it turns out the error was the file name; I named the file ex15_sample.txt, I wrote the file on the notepad app and by default notepad files save as .txt files, so the actual file name as i saved it was: “ex15_sample.txt.txt”. To fix this error I renamed the file to: “ex15_sample”.

Hope this helps.

1 Like
A free service run by Zed A. Shaw for learncodethehardway.org.