Ex33.py - What are some examples of converting this while-loop to a function that you can call?

Hi People,
I’m having a little trouble figuring out a way to convert this while-loop to a function.

I know how to create functions, but not as far as converting a while-loop to one.

Here’s what I did:

def while_loop():
    i = 0
    numbers = []

while i < 6:
        print(f"at the i is {i}")
        numbers.append(i)

i = i + 1
        print("Numbers now: ", numbers)
        print(f"At the bottom i is {i}")

print("The numbers: ")

for num in numbers:
        print(num)

while_loop()

Please share your examples.

Thanks!

1 Like

Haven’t gone back to look at it, but going over your code, this is what I came up with. don’t know if it’s the same basic thing you are trying to do:

def f():
  for i in range(0, 7):
    print(i)

f()

2 Likes

The easiest way to fix this is take out the “f” it is invalid syntax. The way you are using f doesn’t assign anything to it. so you initialise say f = 0 but it will just keep print ‘0’ because there is no information going into the variable to be printed. This is essential the best you can do with what I can see.

def while_loop():
    i = 0
    numbers = []

while i < 6:
        print ("at the top i is {%d}") % i
        numbers.append(i)

i = i + 1
        print("Numbers now: ", numbers)
        print ("At the bottom i is {%d}") %i

print("The numbers: ")

for num in numbers:
        print(num)

while_loop()
1 Like

That’s pretty close, but here’s a couple other ideas:

Take the body of the while-loop and put that in a function, then just call it from the while loop with everything it needs.

Change your while_loop() function to accept a value for 6 you have there, and then return numbers. That way you can make it do as many numbers as you want.

2 Likes

Okay, after a few weeks of playing around with this, I believe I finally found what I wanted to achieve. I was tempted to search more on-line for the answers, but everyone’s comments here encouraged me to try other things. Although, I don’t believe I’ve tried the return method yet, I’m very happy to have made it this far. This morning I was about to give-up and start fresh on the next lesson, but an epiphany just shot into my head.

First: I converted the while-loop to a function:

def guitar(i, a, b, numbers):
    while i < a:
        print(f"Top number: {i}.")
        numbers.append(i)

i += b
        print("Numbers: ", numbers)
        print(f"Bottom number: {i}.")

print("Numbers in List:")

for num in numbers:
        print(num)

guitar(0, 10, 2, [])

Second: After converting to a while loop, I found right away that the ex33.py study drills became crystal clear to me :slight_smile:

def guitar2(i, a, b, numbers):
    for i in range(i, a):
        print(f"Top number: {i}.")
        numbers.append(i)

print("Numbers: ", numbers)
        print(f"Bottom number: {i}.")

print("Numbers in List:")

for num in numbers:
        print(num)

guitar2(0, 10, 2, [])
1 Like

Yep, those are both good conversions. Time to move on. :wink:

1 Like

Awesome, thanks! Moving on…:nerd_face:

is the print (f"Bottom number: {i}.") being used as a str.format()?

It’s an f-string, which is the way I tell people they should be formatting their strings, not with .format(). I only teach .format() because people will run into it, and there’s one situation where you need it.

1 Like

Reading this entire thread literally made this lesson so much easier!!! Thank you <3

I believe the f here is just the f-string evaluator. It was [introduced in Python 3.6]. (https://docs.python.org/3/whatsnew/3.6.html#whatsnew36-pep498).

Oops… that was an old message. sorry!

Thanks! Never knew it was this easy

Sorry to dredge up something so old, but I am stuck on this one. I like your conversion of the while loop and I follow it until the last line. in guitar or guitar2 what does the 3rd number do? I have changed it to different values with no change in results. guitar2(0, 10, 2, [])

In guitar2 it’s not used and could be removed from the code but in guitar it is the increment or step size as can be seen on this line

i += b

So guitar(0, 10, 2, []) should give you

[0, 2, 4, 6, 8]