Exercise 40 study drill #2

The study drill says to “Put the lyrics in a separate variable, then pass that variable to the class to use instead.”

But the lyrics are already in a separate variable?

Example:

bulls_on_parade = Song(["\n They rally around the family,",
“With pockets full of shells”])

Hey @Trezor, it means this:

lyrics = ["\n They rally around the family,",“With pockets full of shells”]
bulls_on_parade = Song(lyrics)

Also, you’re rushing through this aren’t you? I’m also betting you aren’t watching the videos very closely? Is there a reason you’re rushing?

I had a problem with this one too. But, it makes sense now.

Often the best way to see if I understand something is to try explaining it to others. Here goes nothing.

The original version of the code makes a Song() class for each set of lyrics. I’ll just do the remarkably-similar-to-the-birthday-song for the sake of brevity:

happy_bday = Song(["Happy birthday to you.", "I don't want to get sued", "So I'll stop right there."])

Later, you call the “sing()” method like this:

happy_bday.sing_me_a_song()

which I’d translate to something like “In the Song() class called happy_bday, trigger the ‘sing_me_a_song’ method. It will print out the lyrics passed to the Song() earlier, line by line.”

But now we want to put the lyrics in a variable. I did it in 3 major changes.

First, I changed the way happy_bday_lyrics was set up:

happy_bday_lyrics = ("Happy birthday to you.", "I don't want to get sued", "So I'll stop right there.")

That is, I made it a variable containing a tuple of strings, instead of an instance of Song() (I think).

Finally, the following two lines:

bday = Song(happy_bday_lyrics)

Passes the birthday-song-like-song lyrics to Song().

bday.sing()

Calls the sing() method (I renamed it because I got tired of typing out sing_me_a_song) within the Song() class, which prints the text within happy_bday_lyrics line-by-line. For instance:

Happy birthday to you.
I don’t want to get sued.
So I’ll stop right there.

FWIW, here’s my customized version of the Song() class:

class Song(object):
def __init__(self,lyrics):

self.lyrics = lyrics

def sing(self):

for line in self.lyrics:

print line

print "\n"

I added the \n at the end to create a blank line between printings of song lyrics, just for the sake of formatting. However it results in TWO blank lines. Not yet sure why.

P.S.: I also tried happy_bday_lyrics as a list (using []) and a dict (using {} and adding some keys, for which I used line numbers e.g. ‘1’, ‘2’, ‘3’).

If you make the lyrics a list, no problem.

If you make the lyrics a dict, weird stuff happens. For me, it printed the lines of happy_bday_lyrics out of order. For instance, if I defined:

happy_bday_lyrics = {"Happy birthday to you.":'1', "I don't want to get sued.":'2', "So I'll stop right there.":'3'}

I got the print out:

So I’ll stop right there.
Happy birthday to you.
I don’t want to get sued.

That is, order came out as 3, 1, 2 instead of 1, 2, 3. I don’t know why that exact order, but I’m sure it has something to do with dicts having no ordering (as mentioned in the last couple of lessons).

I did:

lyrics_happy_bday = ["Happy birthday to you", "I don't want to get sued", "So I'll stop right there"]
song_happy_bday = Song(lyrics_happy_bday)
song_happy_bday.sing_me_a_song()

Worked for me.

:slightly_smiling_face:

Mark