I’ve come around 180 degrees on this book

Somewhere around ex10 I was so frustrated with this book that I was going crazy. I was certain that this could not possibly be the best way to learn something new. I pushed through only because I’ve quit three other Programming books over the last couple years and I was determined to not ever start another one if I haven’t finished another. Around ex20 everything changed. I am now certain that this way was better and I am so glad I pushed on. I am on ex36/37 and love writing my own maze script. It is becoming quite complex and interesting. The tables in ex37 are wonderful for leading me down learning rabbit holes and exploring how they can each be used.
I believe I will finish this book and hope to then pick up another.

1 Like

Don’t worry, you’ll start to hate programming again, then you’ll LOVE IT AGAIN, then you’ll run into a new problem and it’s again the worst thing in the world and THEN YOU ARE A GOD YOU FIXED IT, and then nothing works, everything in software is terrible but YES! You fixed it again!

Programming is a lot of drama and internal turmoil, which is why many people love it and hate it at the same time.

I finished this exercise and it was glorious, a fox, chicken, grain riddle. I feel depleted now however. I’ve tried reimagining the game with dictionaries as I am nearing the end of the book but I am not sure that would really be the best path. Lists worked but not exactly as I think they were intended. Anyway I’ve taken a few days rest. Not sure if that’s advised or not.

It’s best to just stop on the project, but keep coding. Also, sometimes deleting it and starting over gives you better ideas on how to do it. Then, when you have problems send yourself a description of what you’re trying to do and what’s going on. As in, literally email yourself a description of the problem. Believe it or not, this works very well. I walk around my house talking to myself to figure out problems.

Also, if you drop a link to your code let me know and I’ll take a look.

1 Like