Learning process

This thread is open to anything process-related, from your experiences. Am not a forum admin.

Having worked through the first 30 or so exercises and having done pretty well so far, I am finding myself bouncing back and forth between LPTHW and Py3doc sources, like the tutorial, library and reference files.

No question here, just musing out loud.

I am finding it’s easy to get drawn deeper into the Py3docs when I go to research something from a LPTHW exercise. From the perspective of momentum I find myself always considering where the balance is, between deeper research and keeping things moving forward through the exercises.

Overall, I’d say the tutorial has been the most relevant and useful py3doc for researching topics so far, though it hasn’t always had the topic I was seeking.

Thanks for reading.

1 Like

You can easily be dragged into a hole, but sometimes that’s a really great thing. Like you said though, it can derail you from advancing your planned learning. So, what I do is I keep a list of topics for further research, and I set a goal of daily numbers of exercises or time to study. Let’s say I’m going to finish 2 chapters of a book I need to read, and right in the middle is something really great I want to go research online. Rather than stopping I’ll just take a look, and write it down for later, then get back to the book.

3 Likes

Am a big believer in momentum, and central to that I find is consistency.

I like the idea of not interrupting work to research, but saving it for later. There is always opportunity for overwhelm, in a good way though.

After rifling through the early exercises I am now researching and practicing formatting and printing more thoroughly because I figure the more I have that mastered the more I will be able to concentrate on the concepts - like iteration, recursion and mapping. I was finding that, for example, when practicing writing for-loops and if-statements, I would get bogged down in the thing not working because I wasn’t sure about a .format() rule.

Am also trying to develop a habit of cue carding any new terms or uses I have researched or hacked around with.

I deal with it this way: I research and learn a new topic as long as I don’t have the feeling that I understand what I’m doing. I don’t need to know every atomic detail but so much of a topic that I find myself comfortable enough to solve some problems with my newly learned knowledge. Sometimes I’m quick, sometimes not. As an example: I aloud myself to study testing (introduces in ex47 of lpthw) for about 6 weeks. It took me so long to feel comfortable with it. And as I use spaced repetition to learn new things I know that what I have learned will stick and I can build up on it later.

2 Likes