Learning Python The Hard Way - Exercise 9

Hi,

I’m happy to have joined the forum and to have found this book/course, it’s really structured in a way that works well with the way that I learn.

I have no previous experience with other programming languages and decided to learn python because I have a couple of boring tasks that eat up my time at work which I’d like to see automated. I chose Python because it seemed like the easiest language to start off with, specially after my brief encounter with a few chapters of a C++ introduction book that I decided to put aside for the moment.

Anyways moving on to the question that I had regarding Exercise 9 of Learning Python The Hard Way.
I was busy breaking my own code in order to then fix it.

This is what my code looks like before I start breaking it:

Here's some new strange stuff, remember type it exactly
days ="Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun" # creats variable called days and makes value = string
months = "Jan\nFeb\nMar\nApr\nMay\nJun\nJul\nAug" #\N creats variable called months and makes value = string. The \n tells
#python we want each month stored as a value in its own line
print("Here are the days: ", days) #prints out a string plus value of variable days
print("Here are the months: ",months) #print out a string plus value of variable months

print("""
There's something going on here.
With the three double-quotes.
We'll be able to type as much as we like.
Even 4 lines if we want, or 5, or 6.
""") # We are printing out a string and making use of the 3 """ in order to allow
#us to continue typing on a different line and use a combination of symbols like "" or '' without
# it being considered the delimiter to end the string.

I tried ading more “”" on line 14 and predicted that It would simply print out all the characters after the third " all the way up to a maximum of “”" (since that is the delimiter used to end the string). Even so I decided that I wanted to use the “”"" delimiter but start by printing a string of “”".

An easy way to accomplish this was:

print(('"""\n')+"""
""") # We are printing out a string and making use of the 3 """ "in order to allow
#us to continue typing on a different line and use a combination of symbols like "" or '' without

I then did the following, initially thinking that somehow that the 6x" would somehow print out the middle 3 “”".

print((""""""""") + """
""") # We are printing out a string and making use of the 3 """ "in order to allow

I realised that this didn’t make much sense because well i started the delimiter as “”" and it followed with another set of “”", essentially meaning empty string. What I would like to understand is how python interprets the next set of “”" which are then closed off by the bracket. In terms of output nothing happens and I could have simply left the last “”" out. How does it discard the remaining three and not deliver an error.

If i print out the 3 quotes by themselves I get a syntax error, why is it different since it is inside a bracket?

Honestly, you’d have to dig into the Python parser to really find out exactly why. I’d just say it’s because you totally messed up the strings and now you know the error when you do that. That’s really the point of doing these “breaking” exercises.