Make command for windows

What is a window version of make command? And C version videos of the book?

Assuming you installed cygwin, as suggested on page 21 of the book, did you check/uncheck make during installation? If you’re unsure, re-run the installation. Check this SO-answer for some more details. I also strongly recommend that you watch the video that came with the book, which covers this in more detail.

Regarding C version (if I understand your question correctly), @zedshaw states on page 16 that he’s teaching “the most recent version of C that I can make work with recent compilers”. I think it is safe to assume this means anything that conforms to the C99 standard, most likely also the C11 standard. In other words, if you download and install any version of Cygwin or MinGW from the last 5 years, you’re safe.

Hi,

Thank you so much for replying to my query. I downloaded the mingw-get instead of cygiwn. Hoping that mingw should work. And also you mentioned a page number 21; I’m not sure if I have the same edition that your using. In my book page, 21 is exercise 5 already.

Thanks,
Anthony

It should work, but if not then grab either Windows Subsystem for Linux or Cygwin. Cygwin actually got awesome right after WSL came out, so try that.

I’m referring to Exercise 0: The Setup. I re-downloaded the pdf from the website, and here exercise 5 starts on page 40. Refer to the numbering in the top left/right corner on the page (even/odd pages, respectively), not what your pdf viewer might tell you.

Edit: Just to be clear, I am referring to the pdf version of Learn C the Hard Way.

Also keep in mind that I was as conservative as possible so that the book would last a while. If things have changed then you may have to tinker with make files or some library linking to get it to work. The C language doesn’t change much but the OS does. As for C version, mostly C99 where that actually worked. Usually I’ll try to use a claimed supported feature, try it on a few compilers on different OS, and if I got compiler errors would pull back and route around it.

I haven’t tried this -

But! It looks really cool if you’re using Windows and want to develop under a “Unix-like environment”. The package manager appears awesome too (I’m guessing it’s the same one Arch uses?).

http://www.msys2.org/

Yep, I know what msys is but in my experience it’s always been off in what it supports and how it works, so I never used it for the book. Chances are it works just fine so try it.