Pythonanywhere.com

Hello,
I am very new to Python, going through the Python 3 Hard Way. I am trying to put more time into the course by incorporating short sessions during work, but I do not have administrative privileges to install Python on my machine. I found the pythonanywhere.com website, which everyone seems to speak very highly of; but I am trying to operate in the shell from windows and I’m having trouble changing directories. It appears that the “bash” console is a Linux environment?

I am currently working through exercise 16 which is reading and writing files. I need some kind of portable/virtual environment so that I can operate in the command line, like the book says, read and write to files in a directory, etc. I don’t seem to have the capability to do this in pythonanywhere.com… but maybe I am missing something.

Thanks in advance for any advice. I can still work through the problems before and after work, but I would like to increase my exposure in short burets throughout the day.

I don’t really know how to get the to work on pythonanywhere.com so you should probably contact them and ask how to do it. The other options is to just ask your boss if you can have shell and python, or if they are worried about security, ask if you can install a linux VM using Virtual Box or VM Ware.

thanks Zed. I think it’s a good opportunity for me to just learn how to use Linux on their website. I appreciate the response.