Setup and Configuration Issues

After purchasing Learn MORE Python the Hard Way, I’m working through the initial setup stages of Zed’s Python 3 book. I’m trying to run Python in both the CMD prompt and Powershell, but both instances kick me to the Microsoft Store (I’m on Windows 10 OS).

I suspect it has to do with the tangled mess that is my PATH variable, and I’m grimacing at the idea of trying to fix it.

Will it be okay to simply use the Python interpreter?

That’s weird. Lots of weird in this screenshot:

1. Why do you have 32bit and 64 bit pythons?
  2. Why are they different versions?
  3. Why is this running in a separate window, instead of being commands you typed in powershell? Like I should see this:
PS C:\Users\Tasha_PC> python
  1. What do you mean by “Would it be ok to simply use the Python interpreter?”
  1. To be honest with you, Zed, I’m not sure why I have both versions installed. I don’t really know the difference between 32-bit and 64-bit. I’ll Google that one.

2. They must have been installed at different times of my programming journey and I couldn’t find either version.

3. When I run PS C:\Users\Tasha_PC> python, it opens the Windows App store and prompts me to login to my Outlook account which I don’t have access to.

4. In regards to item 3, that’s why I wanted to use Python as a standalone program (the interpreter) outside of Powershell.

Alright so I’m guessing then that you installed Python in some way that isn’t working. Maybe you used Anaconda? Either way, you need to hunt down where this python lives so you can figure out what to uninstall. If you find the executable (.exe) then you should be able to right click and look at properties or Open containing folder. Once you do that you should see where the python.exe is living and then that’ll tell you what application it is. If it’s something like Anaconda and you don’t need it, then uninstall them all and install the official Python distribution.

Be sure to click “Add to PATH” when you install python this new way or it won’t be in your powershell.

1 Like