Happy New Year!

Happy New Year everyone!
Thank you @zedshaw for making LCTHW possible.
I am very happy I met all of you!

3 Likes

A happy New Year from me too! Thank you all for the cool experience! Learned and still learning a ton!

2 Likes

I concur. Have a good one folks!

2 Likes

You too everyone. I’m really glad I met all of you and I get to teach you stuff all week. Probably one of the most fun things I do (except for painting. You will never compare to painting.)

What’s some stuff everyone wants to accomplish in 2019?

3 Likes

Happy 2019 y’all! I’m grateful to be part of this community with you.

Goal for the year: finally make the leap into a web dev job.

3 Likes

I want to get better at solving problems (like the ones they give in interviews or leetcode). I want to get a better understanding of algos.

2 Likes

My goal for 2019 is to be able to do more or less complex webapps with Django (maybe participating in a Django opensource project), to learn SQL, learn GUI programming with QT for Python, finish LMPTHW, LJSTHW and finally get more proficient in testing. I want to get to a point where it is natural to me to do test first.

That means I have to postpone other interesting stuff like learning Haskell, Linux, TCP/IP, Ruby and C.

2 Likes

I want to learn enough stuff to have a tool kit, Python for data analysis, Node for web development, C# for boring Enterprise stuff, Ruby for testing and to be able to do similar stuff in each language.

I also could do with a tour of Kubernetes and Docker.

3 Likes

I’ve been slowly puttering around with Python and Javascript for maybe about a year and a half in various fits and starts in between my day job and everything else. I went through Learn Python The Hard Way maybe a year ago, and a few months ago started looking at the Javascript book beta. Just last week I caught up to the last released LJSTHW video and surprised myself with being able to knock out a crude version of sed.

I’d like for 2019 to be the year I break myself out of tutorial land and put at least some of this to use. My immediate project ideas come from my dumb hobbies and making those less tedious rather than any career growth goals. At present, I help “manage” a modest sized group of (fellow) nerds who play an extremely niche video game. There’s some automation that could be done around a web app or something that would make my life easier:

1. I’d like to know which game characters belong to which person in the group and find a way that’s easier to manage that than manually updating a Google doc.
  2. I need some automation to help me out with our Discord server. Active players should have access to certain roles on the server, inactive players should have access to less stuff. Discord’s API looks like it’s pretty rich, and there’s both a Python library and a Javascript module for “bot users” that uses that API, so I’ll maybe poke at both of those and see what’s better for my purposes. Manually updating Discord roles is a pain in the neck.
  3. The game in question also uses a Swagger API that one could use to pull information about characters. There was also some words in the initial bit of documentation I read about about Single Sign On and OAuth2 that lets me have the game company verify identity without me actually having to care about identity. So I need to read all those docs to see what I can do and how that’ll play with the Discord bots.

That’ll keep be busy for a bit, but it’s long overdue that I get some of that stuff automated. After that, who knows. I work in a customer facing support role for a software company and learned what a SQL select statement was before I learned a scripting language. Maybe I’ll take a peek at Learn More Python the Hard way too at some point.

4 Likes

A Happy and Prosperous New Year to ALL!!! the year in which we all land that dream role :slight_smile:

@ Zed Shaw you are awesome, the Grand Guru, thanks for your contribution to the community, wish they made more of you and the world will surely be a much more better place.

I am planning to own and take 2019 by force lol, put my head down and work hard(Grit is key), with all your support of course :slight_smile: . Okay fam lets get to it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Happy New Year to you too, monk!

Thanks @nubianmonk and everyone else. If you haven’t heard, my hetzner keys finally came back so we can get this year started.